UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#39752  by Foghorn

Has enyone heard of Westminster rear axles for drag race use. Ive come across one for sale that fits my needs, but cannot find any info about it.
 #39753  by timetravel

Austin Westminster rear axles were used a lot and worked well in dragsters in the 60s & 70s when they were readily available from the breakers.
 #39754  by Foghorn

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
 #39755  by Drag Addict

The Westminster axles basic design progressed into the Sherpa/LDV back axles and the majrity of parts (if not 100%) are interchangable .
When we ran the westminster axle in the eighties the amount of rear gear ratios available was more than ample with ranges right through to 5.1 and available from various sources eg Wolsey / Westminster/Cambrige/Black cab taxi/Sherpa etc

Regards
Richard Moor
 #39757  by Foghorn

Thanks for that Richard.
 #39761  by jai_ford

Hi there we have a Westminster in our little dragster they are good for around 400hp ish the main difference from what I can tell with Sherpas etc is the Westminster has a alloy diff housing, we have upgraded ours using Range Rover discs and calipers easy upgrade with a simple homemade bracket
 #39766  by Foghorn

Thanks James, the Westminster in my dragster project also has a aluminium housing, and its well within my power range, but any idea on freshen up kits, or even ratio changes, can’t seem to find any.

Kev
 #39767  by jai_ford

Hi Kev I have a few dust covers for bearings and few other parts I could only buy in 10’s the parts I thought were expensive was the wheel bearings, as far as the ratios I’m of the belief that all single wheel Sherpa gears would fit unsure of all ratios available will see what’s in our car at the weekend, you still running drums?
 #39768  by Foghorn

No it’s been upgraded to discs at some point, and the bearings look good, not so sure about the
crown wheel, looks like it’s been over powered a little, but then again it used to have a 2.5 blown Daimler, but not any more.