UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#38314  by ukdrn

Very sad news if this is the case.
Has implications on things like the MSA championships as well.
Not good..
 #38316  by jai_ford

Does anyone know if it's still running next year? as I get the impression that that's it's from now really want to make the most next year like yourself john, I have been waiting years to be able to have a car now building one for 2016 was hoping to try it out at nostalgia's ready for dragstalgia I know there's the pod for the older cars etc which is more my thing shakey was the track :(

What ever happened to all the other tracks I see mentioned on this site as was before I was born etc did there share same fate of housing or money council etc.
 #38317  by ukdrn

I guess it's business as normal in 2016 until we here otherwise from SCR.
 #38319  by jai_ford

Copied this from another site as was this fellas response from Shakespeare raceway

Thank you for your concern. At the time of writing the 2016 season of events and races will go ahead as planned. Only planning permission has been granted at present but do deals for the purchase of the land has been forthcoming or indeed signed as everyone seems to think. There is no time line of building work at present as there are a lot of permissions to be granted and further hoops to jump through before any building work can commence. What the land owner does with his land is his own concern and no one else's. But rest assured, the 2016 season go ahead with a possiblity for 2017 as well but its too early to confirm anything. We appreciate your concern. Hopefully we'll see you at the strip soon.

So it's not over just yet :D
 #39744  by oily bike bloke

Jerry Cookson has recently (10th May 2018) put a formal announcement of the cessation of drag racing at Shakespeare County Raceway, along with thanks for those who have supported the venue from its first national drag meet back in 1973, on its webpage and facebook.

https://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4209864 ... 455092966/
 #39746  by ahensman

If true, a sad, sad day for British drag racing, but what appears to be a sign of the times just as it is here Stateside.
Coupled with the North Weald closure news, this becomes a major setback to drag racing on the east side of the pond.

Not sure why the newspaper article lists Santa Pod as the only British drag strip left.
Has Penine Club's Melbourne strip gone by the wayside too?

Even Santa Pod had it's local complainers back in the day. Growing up within 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the Pod, we would constantly hear grumblings about noise, heavy traffic, "boy racer hooligans" and the like from the surrounding villages.
Being a lifelong resident and the son of the biggest landowner in town, it put my home village in a bit of a quandary when I started racing.
The locals always wanted to see and hear my nitro burning bike when we test fired it at home, but then you'd hear grumblings about the increase in traffic during a race meet.
Mind you, local shops and pubs didn't mind as their relatively low sales would increase exponentially during race weekends.

Hopefully, an alternative venue can be found.