UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#8333  by Geoff bosworth

ukdrn wrote:I'm really enjoying this updated thread, thanks for all the info guys.
It answers a few questions and raises a few more like the second chassis,
I don't think many people knew about that.

Also the mention of Stardust which I have to ask about Paul if that's okay, is there much left and what condition is it in?

Like many others I'm looking forward to seeing the car, roll on the Hot Rod Drags :D
The second chassis was also a butera, so im told.
Geoff.
 #8338  by PaulS

Spooky picture of Mad Max & Iron Horse as we now own the chassis in the left lane fitted with the body in the right lane!.

Looking at the A Arms on the Stardust picture they are very similar to the ones I took of the old Chadderton Chassis, the spindles are identical and very distincive - if I remember I'll take some pictures of them in the morning and send them to Jerry.

Paul
 #8822  by hellfish

Just seen the pictures on Eurodragster of your car,You have done an awesome job.That is one BAAAAD AAASSSS looking hot rod! 8) 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) :)
 #8826  by TimeMachine

hellfish wrote:Just seen the pictures on Eurodragster of your car,You have done an awesome job.That is one BAAAAD AAASSSS looking hot rod! 8) 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) :)
It is a damn good looking car, be good to see it on the track with some similar cars
 #28939  by herb andrews

herb andrews wrote:
PaulS wrote:Reading the earlier posts I should point out that Pete Radcliffe's chassis is actually the second Gladiator not the first which was the ex. Chadderton & Okazaki car.Paul
Back then I did not pay attention to the chassis when the second Gladiator appeared, I assumed it was the Chadderton & Okazaki car with a different body.

So, who built the second Gladiator chassis? Was it an import or did Alan make a copy of the original chassis, with possibly some updates.

Herb
3 1/2 years since the last post, heres food for thought:
1. Does anyone have an answer to my question about who built the second Gladiator chassis?
2. Andy Willsheer wrote in Oct's 2004 Custom Car that "Dave Bryant and Paul Mellon bought the ex-Chadderton & Okazaki Vega flopper and ran it as an altered with a Chevy big block between the rail" If thats correct, got any pictures?
3. seemingly little know fact, John Buttera built a total of only 16 funny car chassis, before turning his talented hands to street rods.

Herb
 #28941  by jaytee

Herb I took these in 97,Gordon Smith and Dave Bryant,don't know if it's the Bryant and Mellon car you're looking for though,anyone know what became of the car
Attachments
!00a%20GORDON%20SMITH%201%20A.jpg
!00a%20GORDON%20SMITH%201%20A.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 12957 times
!00a%20GORDON%20SMITH%202%20A.jpg
!00a%20GORDON%20SMITH%202%20A.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 12957 times
 #28942  by IvanS

herb andrews wrote: 1. Does anyone have an answer to my question about who built the second Gladiator chassis?
It was an import wasn't it? Seem to remember Roy being quoted as having picked it up very cheap from a US racer who realised he was out of his depth after hardly running it...
 #28945  by herb andrews

jaytee wrote:Herb I took these in 97,Gordon Smith and Dave Bryant,don't know if it's the Bryant and Mellon car you're looking for though,anyone know what became of the car
Thanks for posting the pictures John, but no, thats an earlier car, in the Custom Car article Gordon talks about it, saying "I bought an old Funny Car chassis that the Pod had laying around. Although it has seen better days it was fine for what I had in mind. It was taken to Dave Milam for work to be carried out whilst I assembled the Chrysler powerplant. An altered body was procured and the car went on to race under the 'Shattered Silence' name. The altered went to Smax Smith"

I want to keep on this thread but I wonder what the "old Funny Car chassis that the Pod had laying around" was previously?
 #35508  by PaulS

herb andrews wrote:I want to keep on this thread but I wonder what the "old Funny Car chassis that the Pod had laying around" was previously?

jaytee wrote:Herb I took these in 97,Gordon Smith and Dave Bryant,don't know if it's the Bryant and Mellon car you're looking for though,anyone know what became of the car
Thanks for posting the pictures John, but no, thats an earlier car, in the Custom Car article Gordon talks about it, saying "I bought an old Funny Car chassis that the Pod had laying around. Although it has seen better days it was fine for what I had in mind. It was taken to Dave Milam for work to be carried out whilst I assembled the Chrysler powerplant. An altered body was procured and the car went on to race under the 'Shattered Silence' name. The altered went to Smax Smith"I want to keep on this thread but I wonder what the "old Funny Car chassis that the Pod had laying around" was previously?

This chassis was the second Gladiator with the Trans Am body.

The Shattered Silence Altered was sold to Pete Radcliffe (I assume by Smax) and became the "Burning Desire" Altered fitted with a JP1 motor on Alky, Pete still has the car and someone recently posted that he is looking to sell it (believe the figure of £10k was mentioned - but don't quote me)