UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#555  by ukdrn

A car that we see around the track for many years was the 'Leroy Chadderton' Vega. Here is a short history on the car, I'm sure you will have some more to add.
Brought to the UK by Santa Pod in 1975 and first raced by 'Dale Emery' at the 'European Grand Prix' to a best of 6.88 201mph.
Leroy Chadderton came to the UK himself in September to drive the car and won the meeting in spectacular style as the car fireballed in the final.

Image:Robin Pretty
Dale Emery in the car

Over the Winter Allan Herridge and Roy Phelps rebuilt and updated the car and renamed the car 'Gladiator'
Image:Nick J Worsell

Image:Peter Wedlake

August 27th 1979. Allan left the line skybound before tipping over onto it's roof and sliding down the track to a halt.
A famous picture that now is etched on the 'British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame Trophy' of Allan sitting in the headers

'Peter Crane' gets the now ageing car next and it'a renamed 'Hustler'

April 1981 'Bill Sherratt' drives the car now named 'Rain City Warrior'
Image:http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/

I Believe the chassis was used on the ''Roaring Thunder Kenworth Funny Truck' but I have no pictures.

Here is the car now named 'Mad Max' and driven by Geoff Bosworth at the 86 Finals at Santa Pod.

The last thing I read about the car in a magazine (Custon Car I think) was that the body was cut in half (lenth ways) and used on the front of a performance part shop some where, I remember they showed a picture, unless you know different?

#559  by MotorPsycho

if the chassis is the one used on Ronnie Picardo's Kenworth funny car then the chassis is now cloaked in Gordan Smith's old Firebird body as the Santa Pod display funny car
 #573  by timetravel

ukdrncouk wrote:
The last thing I read about the car in a magazine (Custon Car I think) was that the body was cut in half (lenth ways) and used on the front of a performance part shop some where, I remember they showed a picture, unless you know different?
Half of it went to Simon Emery's "Paintbox" Body shop in Essex and the other half went to Graham Varma's Chassis and Body shop in West Kingsdown near Brands Hatch. Graham used to do alot of work on my slingshot including fitting the ex-High Fever Topolino body.

#575  by sjb

Hi Nick,
i remember Graham he had a front engine rail and a stock pop right?

#580  by MotorPsycho

JonC wrote:I refer you to a posting on the topic on Pistonheads

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... chadderton

It seems that the Buttera Gladiator Chassis is now the Burning Desire NFAA altered of Pete Radcliffe

http://www.burning-desire-drag-racing.moonfruit.com/

HTH

JC
aah yes I forgot about that :)

#586  by timetravel

sjb wrote:Hi Nick,
i remember Graham he had a front engine rail and a stock pop right?
That's right sjb he used to work for Bob Nixon and built his slingshot along the lines of the two slingshots Bob built in '93. His Pop was stock apart from reversed eyes on the front spring and I remember him running it at the Pod and the ET and speed were the same, something like 35 secs at 35m.p.h. He started up his own chassis shop at West Kingsdown in the early 90's and the pics below show Graham running his slingshot at the '96 N.S.R.A. Hot Rod Reunion at Santa Pod and his workshops after he'd just finished fitting the Topolino body to my slingshot next to his Ford pick-up. The red and white pick-up was his tow car for the dragster a had a Pinto motor fitted. He later modified the roll cage on the slingshot and sold it to Adam Sayers who fitted a blown Chevy. Image Image

Re:

#3484  by ukdrn

Going back to this old thread I have just found this interesting article on the John Buttera Gladiator chassis. http://www.misterbenn.com/gladiator.html
 #3485  by Badger

Yeah, when I was with the new Houndog project we were sent pics of the chassis you see there. The owner hunting for a period body to suit the chassis.
I have seen the chassis since among the ad's of the ED swapmeet. Tough tracking down original pieces, they are out there - it's finding em'. I could of had the original magnesium front and rear wheels at the time I bought the ex Hillbillies Avenger body, and wish I'd bought them now. I'm told from reliable sources the Halibrands now adorn the back of a Bristol street rod, and the front five spokes are up front on Wayne Allman's loony new 'Mental Breakdown' VW bus, er, rail, er..
As always I could be wrong.
 #8198  by Geoff bosworth

UKDRN youre correct, the kenworth body was only really built for shows.
That said chris filsell ran it one time, i also ran the kenworth body just the once in 86(i think).
The problem being that it was rear heavy, on the launch it picked the front wheels up (higher than normal) so i backed off the gas till we hit ashphalt then shifted and she went straight for the sky again, this time i kept the gas on because it felt ok.
The next meeting the picture of the kenworth wheelie at mid track was on the front of drag racing news.
If anybody knows where i could get a copy that would be great.

Cheers geoff.