UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#36232  by plymoutharrow

ukdrn wrote:A car that we see around the track for many years was the 'Leroy Chadderton' Vega. Here is a short history on the car, I'm sure you will have some more to add.
Brought to the UK by Santa Pod in 1975 and first raced by 'Dale Emery' at the 'European Grand Prix' to a best of 6.88 201mph.
Leroy Chadderton came to the UK himself in September to drive the car and won the meeting in spectacular style as the car fireballed in the final.

Image:Robin Pretty
Dale Emery in the car

Over the Winter Allan Herridge and Roy Phelps rebuilt and updated the car and renamed the car 'Gladiator'

Image:Nick J Worsell

Image:Peter Wedlake

August 27th 1979. Allan left the line skybound before tipping over onto it's roof and sliding down the track to a halt.
A famous picture that now is etched on the 'British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame Trophy' of Allan sitting in the headers

'Peter Crane' gets the now ageing car next and it'a renamed 'Hustler'

April 1981 'Bill Sherratt' drives the car now named 'Rain City Warrior'
Image:http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/

I Believe the chassis was used on the ''Roaring Thunder Kenworth Funny Truck' but I have no pictures.

Here is the car now named 'Mad Max' and driven by Geoff Bosworth at the 86 Finals at Santa Pod.

The last thing I read about the car in a magazine (Custon Car I think) was that the body was cut in half (lenth ways) and used on the front of a performance part shop some where, I remember they showed a picture, unless you know different?
Might have already been mentioned but did the Chadderton and Okazaki team race @ Ontario and loose to World Champion Shirl Greer in 1974? Perhaps it was possibly an earlier version of the car? Does anyone have any pictures of it running against Shirl Greer or at Ontario? Thanks.
 #36355  by ukdrn

It looks so short in that shot.
 #36357  by timetravel

ukdrn wrote... The last thing I read about the car in a magazine (Custon Car I think) was that the body was cut in half (lenth ways) and used on the front of a performance part shop some where, I remember they showed a picture, unless you know different?

I took this pic in 1997 at Graham Varma's shop in West Kingsdown. You can see half of the Mad Max body mounted on the wall just above the pickup...
006.jpg
006.jpg (212 KiB) Viewed 10193 times
 #36358  by ukdrn

So you can Nick, it looks quite strange up there :?
Like so many other items and car on here is such a shame it ended up that way.
I would like to see a Vega NFC, you don't see too many about.