UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#27117  by jaytee

thanks for all the info Pete it's always good to hear from the pioneers of the sport,didn't M+H make a narrow bike slick in the 60s and 70s
 #27135  by robotrobbie

Yes Jaytee, M&H did make a 4inch slick in the 70's, we used one on our single engine Triumph (Thor), but these will probably be difficult to obtain now as well.
Also, at the end of the 70's a few people tried used 4inch road racing slicks to see if they were better, and maybe cheaper, on their single engined comp bikes.
Regards
Rob
 #27143  by TwoFaced

Thanks for info but I do have several M & H 4 x 18 tyres. All must be at least 30 years old. One has side-wall cracks but the others don't. Haven't yet tried them they are in 'reserve' for when my final Avon lets go! If I did do some runs next year, I don't intend to be in competition, it's too expensive for nitro these days and running 95% and a single gear I'm always on tenterhooks on the line in case the engines blow up before I've completed a run. So maybe 1 or 2 demo runs would be it. Don't want to push my luck. But still wondering what the rules will be to enable mine to run (as mentioned previously)? Drag rules for comp bikes on nitro require twin front discs and other rules etc. etc. Interesting stuff on the Two Timer. More of my pics soon. Cheers for now, Pete
 #27182  by TwoFaced

Followed the link to the site advertising the Two Timer for sale. Very interesting that jaytee, especially the board with the Two Timer's e.t.'s in '66. In fact my own Two Faced wasn't that far behind it, although that was '68. Following on from my last post of Coup de Essai, it then morphed into my first 1300cc machine using two 650cc Triumph engines. This was around 1966 and the capacity limit had by then been raised to 1300cc. Pictured with me (centre right) is Sam Green (centre left) Pete Lucock (RHS) and the late Norman Bonnett (LHS). Photo taken at my Padgate Lane house. This bike never had a name.
Attachments
Pete Williams (centre right), Sam Green (centre left), Pete Luecock RHS and the late Norman Bonnett LHS.jpg
Pete Williams (centre right), Sam Green (centre left), Pete Luecock RHS and the late Norman Bonnett LHS.jpg (309.87 KiB) Viewed 16610 times
 #27183  by TwoFaced

Next pic is Two Faced taken at my Churchill avenue home before moving to my present one. It may be of interest to note that back in the sixties, when the first parts of my Two Faced drag-bike video on YouTube were filmed; there weren't any home-movie cameras with sound. I think they were all silent cameras (not in the cinemas of course--but home use yes). The camera used for the early shots of Two Faced in '68 was a clockwork, wind-up camera and NO that is not a 'wind up'. The camera used was a Standard 8 film camera but did not have batteries; it had to be wound up like the old alarm clocks and ran for a few minutes before needing re-winding. A spool of film which then cost around £3 ran for only about 2 1/2 (two and a half) minutes. Cine-film was always expensive. It then had to be sent to Kodak for processing. So to get a half hour or so, you had to use many spools and join them together; I still have all the old editing gear and projectors. Mind you, a lot of people don't know that projectors are STILL used in cinemas today; they are not DVD, it is still 35mm and sometimes 70mm film that is used for projection. Anyway, when I went to Topcliffe in '68 I took an old tape-recorder with me and this was before cassette tape became popular. It was an old reel-to-reel recorder and could be battery operated. I got one of my mates to record the sound of Two Faced as it went down the track. I had thought to myself then, that sometime, in the future, there would be some way of adding that live sound to the old film. That came 20 years later when video-tape came out. I did my own transfer from std 8 cine-film onto video-tape and dubbed the live sound onto it in a video-recorder with audio-dub and also added a commentary. Then later during the 2000's I transferred it to DVD. Another mate uploaded that to YouTube for me before I had Broadband.
Attachments
Two Faced pictured 1998.jpg
Two Faced pictured 1998.jpg (493.46 KiB) Viewed 16609 times
 #27184  by TwoFaced

In the old days there were certain times (can't remember what exactly they were) that if you bettered them, you were classed as an 'expert' in that particular class. So I enclose a copy of my 'expert' certificate for the 1300cc class, which was signed by the late George Brown and Jack Terry who was secretary of the NSA back then.
Attachments
Expert Certificate.jpg
Expert Certificate.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 16528 times
 #27185  by TwoFaced

Don't know why the certificate's appeared on its side! Final pic is of three of my machines, Two Faced in the centre and Two Faced Too on the RHS and my Hayabusa on the LHS and which is named 'Two Faced 09' the year I completed it. I don't go along with this 'thing' of giving 'bikes/ships etc a gender. My 'bike is definitely not a 'she' and it is not a 'he' either, it is simply an 'it', it is a sprint or drag-bike, it is simply Two Faced ! (the original one, so-called because it was temperamental and blew engines up frequently on its high doses of nitro). Cheers for now, Pete.
Attachments
Two Faced Centre, Two Faced Too RHS and 'Two Faced 09' (Hayabusa) LHS.jpg
Two Faced Centre, Two Faced Too RHS and 'Two Faced 09' (Hayabusa) LHS.jpg (488.33 KiB) Viewed 16527 times
 #27226  by ukdrn

What a collection of Bikes, thanks for all the pictures and info Pete.
 #27235  by TwoFaced

No probs, my pleasure