UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#22145  by NitroWars

Well the Comp Bike rider in Kevin and Keith's pictures are of Stefan Reisten.

Don't know about the Pro Street/Pro Stock rider but am pretty sure it is not Nigel Patrick. In those days riders were issued with race numbers that identified the rider and they moved the number from whatever they were riding across classes. I am certain Nigel used to ride under the number 270 but it is possible that he registered two bikes in one year and therefore was issued with a the race number 280. It should be easy for somebody with a collection of programmes to find out who the rider was... Calling Clive/Jerry...
 #22151  by CRR

NitroWars wrote: Calling Clive/Jerry...
I was at that Blackbushe meeting Jim and I have the programme, but guess what? That rider/number is not listed. However, at the SPR August 1979 Supernationals, BPS280 is listed as Stuart Fearnside on a turbo Kawasaki.
 #22155  by kal

It was a nice bike Clive.
Almost a dead ringer for Nigel's bike.
I think it was also a Rickman framed bike, hence the similarity.
 #22157  by Kelvin Fagan

CRR wrote:
NitroWars wrote: Calling Clive/Jerry...
I was at that Blackbushe meeting Jim and I have the programme, but guess what? That rider/number is not listed. However, at the SPR August 1979 Supernationals, BPS280 is listed as Stuart Fearnside on a turbo Kawasaki.

Stuart Fearnside certainly rings a bell :)
 #22165  by muddytalker

Also Stuart 's number is listed at the Pod's Winternationals, Fireworks Spectacular, May Day Internationals and Easter Internationals; all 1979.
 #22170  by jaytee

Who are the rider's and what's happening
Attachments
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aab.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aab.jpg (397.18 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
 #22171  by CRR

jaytee wrote:Who are the rider's and what's happening
For a change, I think I know who the two riders are without resorting to programmes :lol: The rider nearest is Bernie White who still races with the NSA on a 1928 Douglas. I think the rider furthest away is Derek Chinn. I can't remember why they are doing what they are doing although I'm sure I've seen that photo before.
 #22173  by paso

Indeed Bernie still races with us and i reckon he still wears his old leathers. Here he is a rainy Keevil in september this year.
whos the chap operating the startline ? :D
Attachments
SNV32656.JPG
SNV32656.JPG (907.38 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
 #22175  by shabby1

Early 70's-Was it a push-through to get some championship points?
Bike next to the camera is a bit unwell-like the spanner and rope engine mount!!
Shabby
 #22178  by kal

This is the story behind the picture of Bernie White and Mick Butler with Pegasus:

Those who have read my book will have seen the picture of Bernie's bike minus the crankcase.
In those days - early 70s - they had a runoff for third and 4th place. Mick had broken, and obviously so had Bernie. :D
So they had a push race to decide who came 3rd.
Bernie had the weight advantage as half his bike was missing!
He gained an ever bigger advantage when Mick slipped away from the lights - and ended up under the bike!
I have a picture somewhere of that moment - but from long distance.
That was one of those classic silly races that could not be easily forgotten.

The mention of Bernie still using the same leathers raised a smile. Take a look at his boots next time you see him.