UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#11628  by Badger

Great stuff archivist! Like that double engine car ..

I've had this on the go for the last half dozen years, although I haven't had time to touch it for at least the last 4. It's the Revell Mickey Thompson Grand Am Funny Car. To be honest I was only interested in building the car minus body, the body wasn't very accurate and not one of my fave's anyway so I sold that with the decal sheet on ebay. There's still plenty to do on this, I should repaint the headers matt black then there's a shed load of detailing. To be honest I'm not crazy about model making this is the first I've tried since I was a kid putting monogram's - 'Cop Out', 'Bad Man' etc together, but I fancied a go at this one. Also working at bigger scale was much better this is - 1:16.
I've got a mint Monogram Lee Shepherd Camaro Pro Stocker kit from about 84 ready to tackle, but I may never get the time to do it .. and I love those Monogram 'Big Rod' kits from around 1980 - the 32 roadster and T Bucket.
Attachments
DSCF0105.JPG
DSCF0105.JPG (686.14 KiB) Viewed 16172 times
 #11633  by excompsec

Badger wrote:.. and I love those Monogram 'Big Rod' kits from around 1980 - the 32 roadster and T Bucket.
Don't know if you're aware of it Badger but the Big T and the 32 have been re-released (by Revell rather than Monogram). My local hobby shop had a 32 kit in stock just before Xmas - don't know whether it's still there though.
 #11634  by martyn b

How I wish I had some photos of some of my models. Back inthe early 70s at the Eastern cruisers monthly evening socials at Cottons Park, we occasionally used to set up a slot track, (bigger than scalextric) and various members would bring along rods and rails to race. The power pick ups were generally on a hinged arm mounted at the mid or rear of the chassis so that the power could be kept on through any wheelys.
I only built four, my favourite being a dragster with an open rails chassis made from brazing rod, two electric motors joined together but disguised by blowers and rockercovers surplus from those 3 in 1 kits that were around then, and slicks cut from high density foam plus a piece of card for the body panels. It looked the biz and worked well.
As things moved on folks started building ever more sophisticated models, perhaps the ultimate being several model aero engined nitro burning fliptop wagons, using half wave rectification through the slot track to control throttle and a clutch; these were probably about 1/12 scale; initially we tried to run them in the clubhouse and it was entertaining watching people stumbling out of the door as the nitro fumes got to them. So the track was extended and had to be setup in the car park to run them. Alan Stevens (who later built the V6 Snoopy Minor van) was one of the builders. That all came to a halt after one of them went off the end, at full tilt, destoying itself and damaging other(full sized)vehicles in the process!!
 #11638  by Badger

That's the best one yet Alan! 8)

Re your comment excompsec, I have seen the big 32 from Revell .. but I want the original really. I missed one on ebay about a month back by a fiver which was seriously irritating!
 #11639  by MotorPsycho

few of mine from over the years, haven't built any for a long time though
fibreglassed 018.jpg
fibreglassed 018.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 16203 times
57chevy 004.jpg
57chevy 004.jpg (646.57 KiB) Viewed 16206 times
hotwheels 008.jpg
hotwheels 008.jpg (971.1 KiB) Viewed 16202 times
testing 007 (Medium).jpg
testing 007 (Medium).jpg (91.65 KiB) Viewed 16204 times
 #11640  by Badger

Nice work Adam, so that's what my Grand Am would of looked like if I still had the body. There's certainly a few detailing tips there on your motor!
 #11652  by MotorPsycho

cheers :) not a fantastic body, I still want to get a nice altered body for it

only thing that annoyed me was lack of blower belt, the one that came with it was no where near big enough and I haven't been able to find anything suitable
 #11705  by Sam

MotorPsycho wrote:cheers :) not a fantastic body, I still want to get a nice altered body for it

only thing that annoyed me was lack of blower belt, the one that came with it was no where near big enough and I haven't been able to find anything suitable
How about a Black wide elastic band ? wont have the teeth but some lines drawn on might give the appearance?

Just a thought. oh and another, small toothed belt from a lawn mower or the like, I've got a belt drive distributor and the belt is only about 1/4 inch wide (6.35mm for the youngsters) might be a bit expensive but the local tip may have an old electric mower ?

I'll shut up now, ;-)