UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#26799  by ukdrn

I'm terrible at remembering dates as my wife will tell you but today (Nov 6th) is a day that I can never or will never forget.
I often wonder what Allan would have done in drag racing over the last 27 years and I like to think that if was in good heath even at 71 years old he would have been involved in drag racing in some way or another.

Since running this website I've meet and spoken to many people about Allan and have been amazed at the amount of people he helped out with advice and done work for, way more than I ever imagined.
I know he never started the sport but I don't think anyone ever did more for the sport and others and I'm so pleased the British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame Award award is called a "Bootsie"

Below are some excellent rare color pictures I saved for today from Nobby's collection of the Dragster Developments DD Cadillac
Slide31 Herridge DD Cad Graveley.jpg
Slide31 Herridge DD Cad Graveley.jpg (305.95 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
That isn't Allan Jnr in this picture is it?
That isn't Allan Jnr in this picture is it?
CADILAC1.jpg (139.19 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
CADILAC2.jpg
CADILAC2.jpg (160.97 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
 #26802  by eraider

Great pics and a fitting tribute to Alan. I'm sure, like you Alan would have been in the thick of it today.
 #26810  by BatmanNobby

Graveley Days were more or less my introduction to Drag Racing and Alan's presence then was a major attraction. I as a member of Chris Leaney's crew was indebted to him for producing the front axle that was used on both the VW and Commer dragsters. Great Man - Great Example. Pleased that my photos are of use. Nobby Clark.
 #34711  by Stu Bradbury

BDRHoF No Name Trophy.jpg
BDRHoF No Name Trophy.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 11660 times
In association with US Automotive Chairman of the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame Stu Bradbury remembers November 6th 1983 when Allan ‘Bootsie’ Herridge made his last ever pass down the world famous Santa Pod Raceway strip. The year 2013 marks the 30th anniversary of Allan’s passing. The legendary ‘Bootsie’ whose image is encapsulated in the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame trophy built one of the UK’s first dragsters and in a long and glorious career proved he could turn his hand to everything from managing a race track to driving race cars and building them.

In 1962 when Allan built his first dragster, there was no rulebook, no drawings, just pictures in American Hot Rod magazines. Allan being Allan was already fully engaged in the development of the sport, helping to form an organising club, writing construction rules for participants and spectators. Along with John Harrison and Brian Sparrow he formed a company called Dragster Developments. The company became renowned for shortening rear axles. When Santa Pod Raceway opened its gates to the public in 1966 Allan became even more involved in the sport.

Stu says, “When I met Allan in 1963 he instantly struck me with his happy-go-lucky attitude and his enthusiasm for drag racing and hot rods. Without any doubt it was him that got me involved in the sport all those years ago as he did many others”.

He once said he was ‘Just lucky’ being in the right place at the right time to be offered the drive of the Santa Pod owned cars; legendary names such as Commuter, Firefly, Asphalt Alligator, the Gloworm and Gladiator Funny Cars to name a few.

As the sport became more popular Allan moved to live close to Santa Pod and was its full time track manager. On Saturday and Sunday he’d be driving Fueler, Funny Car, Jet or Rocket Car and on Monday supervising the litter pickers and empting toilets, building, advising, and modifying cars and chassis for others. Allan’s character - his friendly and helpful nature, his unwavering passion to develop drag racing is still stamped right through the sport to this day.

Stu says, “Allan’s BDRHoF trophy was the first to be awarded at the joint APIRA/SPRC Dinner Dance in February 2006. He would be so humbled to have the award named after him. If we still had him with us today, he would have laughed, rattled of a half dozen names of people he would think are far more deserve than him”.

“For me, and many, many others, there is no one more deserving than him, that’s why we named the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame award a Bootsie”. Photo copyright BDRHoF.
 #34714  by muddytalker

A shot of Bootsie's Buick taken by Fred Babcock at the 64 Dragfests.
Fred Babcock colour Buick 1964.jpg
Fred Babcock colour Buick 1964.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 11590 times
Photo courtesy of BDRHoF
 #34717  by Old Boy Racer

And another one from a bit later.

Robin
Bootsie.jpeg
Bootsie.jpeg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 11516 times
 #34735  by ukdrn

glad1.jpg
glad1.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 11430 times
glad2.jpg
glad2.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 11430 times
glad3.jpg
glad3.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 11430 times
glad4.jpg
glad4.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 11430 times
gladiator.jpg
gladiator.jpg (107.53 KiB) Viewed 11430 times
 #34738  by ukdrn

30 years today.
It's hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about Bootsie but going by the amount of people I still continually meet that have told me that Allan built this for me or Allan done that for me I guess we will never fully appreciate how much he did for other drag racers and the sport in general.

One things for sure and thats we will never stop missing him or never stop remembering him.
002.jpg
002.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (115.68 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
Pictures from Lesley Wright
CCW007.jpg
CCW007.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
Picture: Dave Derry
img015 %282%29_resize.jpg
img015 %282%29_resize.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 11361 times
 #34739  by ukdrn

This is from Ray Beadle.
Always enjoyed Allan when we were in England. We always took him & Leslie out to dinner several times while we were there. We would always ask where he wanted to go & he never had any suggestions as he said they never went out except when we were there as it was way too expensive. We always treated as our unlimited expseve acct. Rip. Rb
 #34740  by rainmaker

The Raymond Beadle? I can hardly believe it. I remember we took you and Holly to the Tower of London and you were amazed at the artifacts and terrines and asked Allan if they were brass. He was most insulted and said the only thing that's brass in here was what you were standing on! We had a great time when you all came over and when we came over to see you race in the States. Happy memories indeed.