UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#9489  by stormbringer

tog wrote:
Flying Phil wrote:A tribute is very much in order.
If anyone has anything in particular they'd like said then please E-Mail me at my Eurodragster.com address.
I'd just like to add that I knew and respected "Bootsie's " abilities as both a driver and also a car builder,he would always help any racer overcome a problem if he could.
It is clear after all these years how much others still miss him. That is probably the best memorial anyone could ask.
(I was priveleged to drive two of Alan's rides:Firefly and Gladiator.)
 #9592  by hodders

I've rescued an old cassette tape from my loft of treasures which features a recording I made of the August 27th meeting at the Pod in 1979. I need to feed it all in to my computer to preserve it, but I've put a small snippet on my web site at http://www.simaxphotography.co.uk. I mention it here becuse the snippet I've uploaded is of the immediate aftermath of Bootsie rolling the Gladiator funny car, with a very relieved crowd giving him a round of applause once he managed to get free from the wreckage. It's an MP3 file to reduce the file size.
 #9724  by roborider

Bootsie was my hero and a friend. I first met him in 73, I had left the army at the begining of the year, I had been reading custom car magazine for about a year and decided to go to the pod that easter to see what this dag racing thing was all about, nedless to say I got hooked. I met and talked to people like Bootsie and Nobby Hills, I at that time lived in harrow and bootsie lived in hayes most evenings I would come home from work and go round to boosie's lock up/workshop and bench race and try and learn as much as I could from the master. I agree what everyone else has said, he was a generous and helpfull person who was allways there with help and advice whenever it was needed. He would allways make time to chat to fans or people he knew whatever he was doing. A great man and a Great loss to our sport.
When I go to the pod these days there are Two people who always stick in my mind and whose presence I miss more than anything else, Bootsie and Iris Page, two people who were an unforgetable part of 70's drag racing at the pod
 #9728  by ukdrn

I used to walk past the gates of Heathway engineering where Allan and John Harrison worked every day on my way to and from school , I don't know what I was hoping to see looking in, maybe some unfinshed dragster or something but of course I never see anything.
Here's some pictures starting with Allan at the Easter 76 meet and the debut of the 1st Asphalt Alleygator, a car that was quick from the start.
Anyone know how much testing was done back then behind closed doors?
Pictures:John Kent
 #9730  by Ian

A tribute from the Flame & Thunder yesterday.
(Sorry for the poor picture quality).
Attachments
100_2775.jpg
100_2775.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 10692 times
 #9735  by ukdrn

Very nice touch!
 #9739  by stormbringer

Re: testing "behind closed doors". I am sure thay Roy Phelps would confirm that none was ever carried out . All runs,testing whatever ,were done on race days. Ashphalt Alleygator was based on Stormbringers chassis.The motor was Ed Pink prepared,so any testing on the motor was already completed by Ed Pink on his dyno and was race ready from the get go.
 #9825  by hellfish

Well who would have thought it so long ago.I never really knew the man(too young) however my father was good friends with him and his then other half went to school with my mother so he was around alot.I have heard many a good story about the man from various people i kno! A few years back (maybe 2000) Little Alan would be regularly out drinking with us on a weekend so that was cool too and i often asked about stories.I had some real good original big photos of the man in various cars that people had given me and i never really wanted little Allan to see them (coz i didnt kno him well enough to kno how he would react)Anyway one night we all went back to mine after drinking etc and when he saw the photos he was like"cool photos" and was happy to see all this rare stuff taking pride of place on my walls/mantlepiece etc and being looked after.I was thinking about this alot on saturday just gone because it was a fireworks meet and i was in my workshop(which used to be his) working on my "lil" f/c like the great man himself once did.
 #20986  by ukdrn

"Bootsie" Still missed, never forgotten.
Picture from the Acceleration Archive
Picture from the Acceleration Archive
Alan_Bootsie_Herridge.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
 #20991  by Badger

Fantastic picture! 8)