UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#20993  by kal

That really is a nice shot of Bootsie.
He was not a poser, and that captures him perfectly.

From a personal standpoint I am glad I was not at that particular meeting when he was lost to us, and can more easily remember him for all the great things he brought to us over the years.
 #20995  by paso

Ahmen to that Keith bootsie was a true Hero .
 #20997  by rainmaker

Hi Lesley here - just to say how reassuring it is that I'm not the only one reliving the good memories today. Listening to the fireworks, remembering almost every minute of a lonely evening spent whilst he was over in number 6 putting the finishing touches to Midnight Cowboy. Something that always makes me smile & weep is remembering the T shirt he put on that morning, Sammy Miller had given it to him. On the front it said 'If you can't take a joke ...' and when lifted up, inside it said 'F*** you'. The memory of stuff like that makes the smiles outweigh the tears.
 #21005  by Kelvin Fagan

Ive got a few pics of Bootsie:

#21006  by ukdrn

Lesley -Thanks for sharing that with us.

Kelvin - 3 of the best 8)
 #21008  by timetravel

here's a few early shots from Brian Sparrow...
Brian Sparrow pics 285.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 285.jpg (468.64 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
Brian Sparrow pics 393.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 393.jpg (177.72 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
img647.jpg
img647.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
Brian Sparrow pics 249.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 249.jpg (646.27 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
img645.jpg
img645.jpg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
Brian Sparrow pics 230.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 230.jpg (193.58 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
 #21021  by Glenn R

A great guy sadly missed, RIP Bootsie and respect Leslie x
 #21029  by Stu Bradbury

These pictures and comments is the reason the British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame decided that those to be honored for inclusion into the Hall Of Fame will receive a 'Bootsie'. This quality crystal tablet encapsulating an image of the late Allan 'Bootsie' Herridge, a man who put so much into British Drag Racing. To be eligable you must have driven/ridden, owned, designed, built, maintained, prepared, promoted, officiated, supported or taken part in any capacity within British Drag Racing. They must have been involved for at least twenty years or have made a significant and recognisable contribution to the sport. I think Allan "Bootsie" Herridge possibly is the only man who has had a hand in all of the above. God bless Allan, you will never be forgotten.

Stu Bradbury
Chairman British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame.
 #21703  by westie1660

As an additional tribute to Bootsie's memory, I'm writing as a fan in SINGAPORE who was at university in the UK doing a Mechanical Engineering degree in the early 80's and made every effort to get to the Pod many times a year and Alan was a key personality at the time even to the humble newbie spectator on the banking and in the campsite.

I've only just discovered this website because of 'life in general' taking over - but I'm absolutely hooked on the nostalgia feeling of those years. I still have a boxfull of every drag racing fanzine/mag/newsaper (plus Pod programme) that I could lay my hands on in those days, even a pencil drawing of Al O'Connor/Gasser bought trackside in '82 has been kept safe. But Bootsie is a symbol of those great times - simple as that.

Much respect to his memory..
 #26790  by Stu Bradbury

Tomorrow is November the 6th. On this day in 1983, Allan 'Bootsie' Herridge made his last ever run. He was debuting a new Jet Funny Car called 'Midnight Cowboy' which he had built himself. For reasons which still have not been fully explained, the car did a hard left at the top end of the strip, running straight into the crashbarrier. Bootsie was killed instantly. He was an original, an innovator, a hero to many and a very sad loss to the world of Drag Racing. We all miss him, but still remember him by calling our British Drag Racing Hall Of Fame Award a "Bootsie"