UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#11053  by timetravel

martyn b wrote:Looking back on the posting I made re Sunset I realised that I had missed giving credit to one of the team, for they were a trio, being Wally F, Pete M, and Reg Clarke. Reg shared the driving with Wal, while Pete was charged with getting them there and back safely. Their racing was brought to an end when Wally had a bad heart attack and Petes health was not good either. Reg had previously been involved with other altereds, whilst Wally had been 1/2 owner of a rail, the name of which escapes me, but it was an older car into which Wal and Barry had put an odd V8 out of a boat.
The attachment 1973 Billericay show.jpg is no longer available
The news cutting also shows Richard Westlakes Thunderbird powered Marina, and standing behind are Keith Harvie and Barry George, who had come along in Keiths Stingray.

That engine confused people because it had 4 inlets and 6 exhausts and you had to point out the 8 plugs to prove it was a V8. The rail met its end when barry and wally couldn't agree about something on the car so they cut it in half(! :shock: ) and tossed a coin for who took the front or rear...
Thanks for that post Martyn, I've had these two pics of that slingshot for a while and have not been able to id it.... now I know
1972 087.jpg
1972 087.jpg (259.33 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
1972 088.jpg
1972 088.jpg (248.04 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
 #11061  by martyn b

In that second picture, Wally is standing to(our) left of the car, blowing his nose, and that looks like Reg (with the glasses) standing to the right of Wally.
 #11077  by Flying Phil

Millevanille wrote:after all the cars I had , this was a class act, and I used to pinch nyself as I walked away from it.
The body panels by Dennis Priddle were copied from a Jerry Ruth Top Fuel car.
My biggest disappointment was that representatives from Wrangler jeans had come as our guests to the World finals in 79, and had left " to miss the traffic" before the Final. The ITV went on strike, and the TV footage was never shown.
Two months later Wrangler had a meeting to decide their budget for 1980. We were short listed in Motor sport for a huge increase in funding, but missed out in the final selection.
Enter Rifle Jeans!!
TC
I agree Tim - the Wrangler car was gorgeous! :D
However I was re - reading the "Drive It" Drag racing book which has a chapter on your racing year and about the blown engines that you suffered. It must have been So frustrating (and expensive).
Anyway looking at the pictures of the shattered blocks I wondered if the main problem was, in fact, due to the engine going in the rear and was having to twist the chassis, the heavier Rifle car just made it worse. In the original front engine set up (both yours and in the US) the block seemed to last much longer? Perhaps Norm has a view?? A long time ago but these thoughts keep popping up.....
 #11078  by Millevanille

The opinion of Dale Hall, the engine builder was that we used too much throttle on the burnouts.
He looked at pictures, and was horrified to see the butterflies wide open on the burnout. That first block was only an iron block. But I guess Norm will be a long shortly to give you more insight, is Wales in the same time zone?
TC
 #11091  by Stormin Norm

Hi Phil.

Just read the chapter for the first time in years, i just cringe at some of the things i did then!!
The basic problem with the chevy block, even the 010 high nickel version was that it just was not strong enough. the first iron block had gone past its safe run number and at least it ran the record before giving up.
the second iron block was brand new with billet main caps etc and it should have lasted longer. i think we were just unlucky with a badly cast block which just fell apart- if you look at the pics you can see the difference.I dont think the weight of the cars made any difference.
When steve rose and me sat down and planned the Plan X slingshot the first line said new Donovan ally small-block for obvious reasons. the second line said No more used parts and budget decimating paintjobs. we both agreed if plain black was ok for garlits and hall it will do for us!! With the ally block the previous block problems disappeared and we ran a best of 6.85 and 6.94 at Blackbushe. Built a new rear - engined car for top alky and ran from 89 to 93 with the same motor with no block problems at all with a best of 6.56 / 207. it ran 6.6s like a bracket car! I still have that block No 0147 and it will shortly be running again with all the nice new parts fitted.
So in conclusion i will say that any of the aftermarket blocks ally or steel available today would get the job done- I have a new Dart ally block here for another project- what a great piece of engineering- i wish it would have been avalable in 1980.

Norm. :D
 #11102  by jaytee

From Hot Rod and Custom magazine.
Attachments
0aMM4a.jpg
0aMM4a.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
0aMM3a.jpg
0aMM3a.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
 #11109  by Flying Phil

Thanks Tim and Norm
It is one of the great things about this forum that questions get answered by the participants and other real experts - with long memories!!! :)
 #11145  by Millevanille

budget decimating paintjobs

Sponsors.
 #11719  by jaytee

Darrioux Walters 1994,can anyone name the crew guy in the 1st photo
Attachments
0aDW1.jpg
0aDW1.jpg (742.07 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
0aDW2.jpg
0aDW2.jpg (711.06 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
 #11721  by muddytalker

Looks like Mark Hawkins to me and photos from Avon Park.